The Jockey Club, the largest commercial group in British horseracing, with a 263-year heritage and circa 150-strong membership, today announced the election of three Honorary Members and six Ordinary Members, effective 1st January 2014.
- Sheikh Hamad bin Abdulla bin Khalifa al Thani – leading racehorse owner and breeder through Qatar Racing and British Champions Series sponsor through QIPCO
- Sheikh Fahad bin Abdulla bin Khalifa al Thani – leading racehorse owner and breeder through Qatar Racing and British Champions Series sponsor through QIPCO
- Edward Gillespie – 32 years running and developing The Jockey Club’s flagship Cheltenham Racecourse, Chairman of the Pony Racing Authority and winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2011 Sport Industry Awards
- Justin Dowley – Racing: racehorse owner and non-executive director of Ascot Authority (Holdings) Ltd; Professional: former Vice Chairman of Nomura International plc and Head of Investment Banking at Merrill Lynch
- Bjorn Nielsen – Racing: racehorse owner and breeder, with gallops in Lambourn; Professional: Partner at Tudor Investment Corporation
- The Hon Rose Paterson – Racing: next Chairman and current racecourse committee director at Aintree Racecourse; Professional: Office Manager for The Rt Hon Owen Paterson MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, formerly senior roles in Sotheby’s Paintings Department and The Daily Telegraph’s northern Art Critic
- Richard Pilkington – Racing: racehorse owner and racecourse committee director at Newmarket Racecourses; Professional: insurance broker at Marsh McLennan
- William Rucker – Racing: racehorse owner and breeder; Professional: Chief Executive of Lazard in the UK, Chairman of Crest Nicholson Holdings plc and Quintain Estates & Development plc and non-executive director of Rentokil Initial plc
- Martin St Quinton – Racing: racehorse owner and racecourse committee director at Epsom Downs Racecourse; Professional: Chief Executive of Chisholm Computers, Vice Chairman and major shareholder in Gloucester Rugby Club, former Chief Executive of Azzurri and Danka International Operations
Members were elected at The Jockey Club Members' Winter meeting, held today in London.
Nicholas Wrigley, Senior Steward of The Jockey Club
“It is an honour to welcome Sheikh Hamad and Sheikh Fahad as Honorary Members of The Jockey Club in recognition of their clear commitment to British racing, which is of great benefit to our sport.
“I am also delighted to welcome Edward Gillespie as an Honorary Member. This is recognition of Edward’s long service and significant contribution to Jockey Club Racecourses and Jump racing more broadly.
“Justin, Bjorn, Rose, Richard, William and Martin joining us as Members is excellent news for The Jockey Club. Each has made a significant contribution to British racing in their own way. They are highly capable people who will strengthen our efforts to support the long-term health of our sport.”
Members of The Jockey Club are appointed on account of their knowledge and experience of horseracing, unique contribution to the sport and a commitment to help The Jockey Club to achieve its vision. Members are in effect 'trustees', however, they may not profit from their role, as all profits generated by The Jockey Club are invested into British racing.
The full list of Members of The Jockey Club is available (NB minus the nine new Members who will be
added) at http://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/about/our-members