(Grade 1) - 3 miles, 2 furlongs, 70 yards
(1) Royale Pagaille
(2) Minella Indo
(3) Native River
RUNNERS TO WATCH
- Al Boum Photo (9 year old, W.P. Mullins) – Looking for a hattrick of Gold Cup wins, Al Boum Photo comes here via the identical route of a comfortable win in Tramore’s New Year’s Day Chase. Reportedly in great shape. The one to beat.
- A Plus Tard (7 year old, H. De Bromhead) – Won the Grade 1 Savills Chase at Leopardstown ahead of Kemboy in December. Not certain to stay up the hill, but if he does, he’s in with a shout.
- Champ (9 year old, N. Henderson) – Winner of the RSA Chase at the Festival last year, returned after a break with a decent second at Newbury over an unsuitable trip. Nicky Henderson has been unlucky with 3 seconds in the last 3 years. Chances.
- Native River (11 year old, C. Tizzard) – The popular 2018 Gold Cup winner still retains plenty of ability and comes here in good heart after staying on strongly to win the Cotswold Chase at Sandown last month. Place chances.
- Royale Pagaille (7 year old, V. Williams) – Much improved this season, winning all 3 chases. His easy 16 length win in The Peter Marsh handicap Chase at Haydock in January puts him in contention. One to watch.
LAST 5 WINNERS
2020 – Al Boum Photo (10/3 F) Age 8 Trainer: W.P. Mullins
2019 – Al Boum Photo (12/1) Age 7 Trainer: W.P. Mullins
2018 – Native River (5/1) Age 8 Trainer: C. Tizzard
2017 – Sizing John (7/1) Age 7 Trainer: Mrs J. Harrington
2016 – Don Cossack (9/4 F) Age 9 Trainer: G. Elliott
Nicky Henderson has had three 2nds in the last three years on top of his two wins in the last 10 renewals.
FOLLOW THE FAVOURITES?
9 favourites have won in the last 20 running’s, including Al Boum Photo at 10/3 last year.
7- and 8-year-olds are best winning 13 of the last 20. In that time only one 6-year-old has won and four 9-year-olds. The last time a horse older than 9 won was 10-year-old Cool Dawn in 1998.
DID YOU KNOW?
9 of the last 10 winners had won at least once that season.
The last 3 winners had had just one run that season, on each occasion they won that race.
12 of the last 12 winners had won at least one Grade 1 race previously.
6 of the last 12 winners had previous winning form round Cheltenham.
9 of the last 10 winners had previously won a race at 3+ miles.
The Tote Trifecta for the Cheltenham Gold Cup has beaten the Tricast for the last four years, overpaying by 60% on average.
When you become a customer of a third party through one of our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.