Sunday, February 24, 2019 - Owner Philip Reynolds and trainer Joseph O'Brien could both be represented in the £1-million Randox Health Grand National, the world's richest and greatest chase which takes place at Aintree on Saturday, April 6, day three of the Randox Health Grand National Festival.
Reynolds has a leading hope for Aintree in Mall Dini who is currently a 25/1 chance with Betway, official betting partner of the Randox Health Grand National Festival.
The nine-year-old, allotted 10st 4lb in the Randox Health Grand National, is no stranger to success in Britain. The Pat Kelly-trained Milan gelding landed the Listed Pertemps Network Final Handicap Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival in 2016 and last season was the half-length runner-up in the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Amateur Riders' Handicap Chase at the same meeting.
Mall Dini has made two appearance so far in the 2018/19 campaign, finishing a staying-on sixth when last seen in the valuable Goffs Thyestes Handicap Chase over three miles and a furlong at Gowran Park on January 24.
His profile is similar to 2016 Grand National winner Rule The World, in that he has earned a rating of 148 despite not winning on any of his 13 chase starts.
Reynolds, who also owns leading Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup hope Presenting Percy, revealed: "We are thinking about what we should do with Mall Dini.
"The Randox Health Grand National has come under consideration and is something we are thinking about now the weights have been released.
"He seems to have a very nice weight for the race. He needs four horses to come out and would run off 10st 4lb. We are tempted to sit the Cheltenham Festival out and go straight to the Grand National.
"Missing Cheltenham is something we are thinking about, but alternatively, he could take in both a handicap at Cheltenham and then the Grand National.
"We need to have more discussions, but the Grand National is definitely of interest
"Mall Dini was a horse me and Pat (Kelly) bought for old time's sake. He rang me two years after a meeting at a racecourse to tell me he had sourced Mall Dini. He is named after probably the most famous AC Milan footballer of all time (Paolo Maldini)."
Trainer Joseph O'Brien has carried all before him so far in his short career to date, winning Australia's greatest race, the Melbourne Cup, with Rekindling in 2017 and the 2018 Irish Derby with Latrobe.
His biggest Jump racing success was provided by Edwulf, who captured the 2018 G1 Irish Gold Cup at Leopardstown.
The J P McManus-owned Edwulf(11st 1lb, 50/1 with Betway) has not entered the winner's enclosure since that Leopardstown success and his latest two starts have seen him come home eighth in the G1 Savills Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas and third in the G2 Red Mills Chase over two and a half miles at Gowran Park on February 16.
Co Kilkenny-based O'Brien said: "The Randox Health Grand National could be a possibility for Edwulf.
"We have been slightly disappointed with him this term. He ran OK at Gowran Park last weekend when he jumped well, but just got tired in the closing stages.
"He is not entered in any races at the Cheltenham Festival, so I'm not too sure where he goes next, but we will keep our options open.
"The English National will come into consideration. He has a nice weight for the race and we will discuss it. The Irish National could also be something we consider."
O'Brien has yet to saddle a runner in the Randox Health Grand National. His all-conquering Flat trainer father Aidan had one runner when he was primarily a Jump handler in the 1990s, saddling Life Of A Lord to come home seventh to Rough Quest in 1996.
The market for the Randox Health Grand National is headed by 2018 hero Tiger Roll (Gordon Elliott, 11st 1lb, 11/1 favourite with Betway). The nine-year-old recorded a stunning four-length victory in the G2 Boyne Hurdle at Navan on February 17.
If successful at Aintree on April 6, the nine-year-old would become the first horse to record back-to-back victories since the great Red Rum in 1973 and 1974.
Rathvinden (Willie Mullins, 10st 10lb, 12/1), owned by Ronnie Bartlett, has shortened dramatically in the betting for the Randox Health Grand National after victory yesterday (February 23) on his seasonal debut in the G3 Bobbyjo Chase at Fairyhouse.
There is a scratchings' deadline for the Randox Health Grand National on Tuesday, February 26, details of which will be revealed approaching noon on Wednesday, February 27.
Latest odds from Betway, official betting partner of the Randox Health Grand National Festival
11/1 Tiger Roll
20/1 Elegant Escape
25/1 Anibale Fly, General Principle, Give Me A Copper, Mall Dini, Pleasant Company, Rock The Kasbah, Step Back, Up For Review, Vintage Clouds, Walk In The Mill
33/1 Abolitionist, Blaklion, Bristol De Mai, Captain Redbeard, Dounikos, Lake View Lad, Minella Rocco, Missed Approach, Ms Parfois, One For Arthur, Ramses De Teillee, Royal Vacation, Total Recall, Traffic Fluide, Ultragold, Valtor
Each-Way: 1/4 odds, 1-2-3-4
Randox Health Grand National
Grade 3 handicap chase, £1 million total prize fund. Aintree, 5.15pm Saturday, April 6, 2019. 4m 2f 74y over the Grand National fences. For seven-year-olds and upwards who, up to and including March 19 have started in a steeple chase during the current season and been placed first, second, third or fourth in a chase with an official distance description of' two miles seven and a half furlongs' or more at any time during the horse's career, Horses must also be allotted a rating of 125 or more by the BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and after taking account of races run up to and including February 10. Horses who are not qualified for a rating in Great Britain or Ireland at closing may also be entered. Such horses may be eligible for a weight providing the Handicapper is satisfied that the horse's racecourse performances up to and including February 10 would merit a minimum rating of 125. To qualify, horses must have run at least three times in chases run under the Rules of Racing of the same Recognised Racing Authority up to and including February 10. At the Handicapper's discretion, such horses may be allocated a rating. The decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final. Entries closes January 29, entries revealed January 30 (112 entries - 2 not qualified), weights revealed February 12, first scratchings deadline February 26, second scratchings deadline March 19, five-day confirmations April 1, final declarations 10am April 4. Maximum field of 40 plus four reserves.
Horse Age Wgt Rating Owner Trainer
1) BRISTOL DE MAI (FR) 8 11-10 168 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nigel Twiston-Davies
2) ANIBALE FLY (FR) 9 11-06 164 J P McManus Tony Martin IRE
3) ALPHA DES OBEAUX (FR) 9 11-04 162 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
4) ELEGANT ESCAPE (IRE) 7 11-04 162 John Romans Colin Tizzard
5) THE STORYTELLER (IRE) 8 11-03 161 Pat Sloan Gordon Elliott IRE
6) VALTOR (FR) 10 11-02 160 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nicky Henderson
7) EDWULF 10 11-01 159 J P McManus Joseph O'Brien IRE
8) TIGER ROLL (IRE) 9 11-01 159 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
9) OUTLANDER (IRE) 11 11-00 158 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
10) DON POLI (IRE) 10 10-13 157 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
11) GO CONQUER (IRE) 10 10-13 157 Paul & Clare Rooney Nigel Twiston-Davies
12) SUB LIEUTENANT (IRE) 10 10-13 157 Gigginstown House Stud Henry de Bromhead IRE
13) BLAKLION 10 10-12 156 Simon Such & Gino Paletta Nigel Twiston-Davies
14) MALA BEACH (IRE) 11 10-12 156 Chris Jones Gordon Elliott IRE
15) YALA ENKI (FR) 9 10-12 156 Hills of Ledbury (Aga) Venetia Williams
16) BALLYOPTIC (IRE) 9 10-11 155 Mills & Mason Partnership Nigel Twiston-Davies
17) BLACK CORTON (FR) 8 10-11 155 The Brooks, Stewart Families & J Kyle Paul Nicholls
18) LAKE VIEW LAD (IRE) 9 10-11 155 Trevor Hemmings Nick Alexander
19) MINELLA ROCCO (IRE) 9 10-11 155 J P McManus Jonjo O'Neill
20) PLEASANT COMPANY (IRE) 11 10-11 155 Malcolm Denmark Willie Mullins IRE
21) AMERICAN (FR) 9 10-10 154 The Jago Family Partnership Harry Fry
22) DOUNIKOS (FR) 8 10-10 154 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
23) ONE FOR ARTHUR (IRE) 10 10-10 154 Two Golf Widows Lucinda Russell
24) RATHVINDEN (IRE) 11 10-10 154 Ronnie Bartlett Willie Mullins IRE
25) SHATTERED LOVE (IRE) 8 10-10 154 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
26) SIZING CODELCO (IRE) 10 10-10 154 Ann & Alan Potts Limited Colin Tizzard
27) TOTAL RECALL (IRE) 10 10-10 154 Slaneyville Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
28) TRAFFIC FLUIDE (FR) 9 10-10 154 Galloping On The South Downs Partnership Gary Moore
29) ROCK THE KASBAH (IRE) 9 10-09 153 Diana Whateley Philip Hobbs
30) WARRIORS TALE 10 10-09 153 Trevor Hemmings Paul Nicholls
31) AUVERGNAT (FR) 9 10-08 152 J P McManus Enda Bolger IRE
32) REGAL ENCORE (IRE) 11 10-08 152 J P McManus Anthony Honeyball
33) ROYAL VACATION (IRE) 9 10-08 152 Jean Bishop Colin Tizzard
34) A TOI PHIL (FR) 9 10-07 151 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
35) JURY DUTY (IRE) 8 10-07 151 Sideways Syndicate Gordon Elliott IRE
36) MAGIC OF LIGHT (IRE) 8 10-07 151 Ann & Alan Potts Limited Jessica Harrington IRE
37) MASTER DEE (IRE) 10 10-07 151 Paul & Clare Rooney Fergal O'Brien
38) MONBEG NOTORIOUS (IRE) 8 10-06 150 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
39) NOBLE ENDEAVOR (IRE) 10 10-06 150 Chris Jones Gordon Elliott IRE
40) SANDYMOUNT DUKE (IRE) 10 10-06 150 Ronnie Wood Jessica Harrington IRE
41) THE LAST SAMURI (IRE) 11 10-06 150 Paul & Clare Rooney Harry Fry
42) ACAPELLA BOURGEOIS (FR) 9 10-05 149 Slaneyville Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
43) RAMSES DE TEILLEE (FR) 7 10-05 149 John White & Anne Underhill David Pipe
44) TEA FOR TWO 10 10-05 149 Jane Williams & Len Jakeman Jane Williams
45) DAKLONDIKE (IRE) 7 10-04 148 Prof Caroline Tisdall David Pipe
46) MALL DINI (IRE) 9 10-04 148 Philip Reynolds Patrick Kelly IRE
47) CALETT MAD (FR) 7 10-03 147 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Nigel Twiston-Davies
48) STEP BACK (IRE) 9 10-03 147 Cracker and Smodge Partnership Mark Bradstock
49) THE DUTCHMAN (IRE) 9 10-03 147 SprayClad UK Colin Tizzard
50) ULTRAGOLD (FR) 11 10-03 147 Brocade Racing John Romans Terry Warner Colin Tizzard
51) BLOW BY BLOW (IRE) 8 10-02 146 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
52) MS PARFOIS (IRE) 8 10-02 146 M R Chapman Anthony Honeyball
53) PAIROFBROWNEYES (IRE) 10 10-02 146 Fibbage Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE
54) SINGLEFARMPAYMENT 9 10-02 146 N T Griffith & H M Haddock Tom George
55) SOME NECK (FR) 8 10-02 146 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
56) UP FOR REVIEW (IRE) 10 10-02 146 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
57) VALSEUR LIDO (FR) 10 10-02 146 Gigginstown House Stud Henry de Bromhead IRE
58) VIEUX LION ROUGE (FR) 10 10-02 146 Prof Caroline Tisdall & John Gent David Pipe
59) ABOLITIONIST (IRE) 11 10-01 145 Mark Albon, John Provan & Chris Stedman Dr Richard Newland
60) GIVE ME A COPPER (IRE) 9 10-01 145 Done, Ferguson, Kyle, Mason & Wood Paul Nicholls
61) MISSED APPROACH (IRE) 9 10-01 145 Alan & Andrew Turner Warren Greatrex
62) FOLSOM BLUE (IRE) 12 10-00 144 Core Partnership Gordon Elliott IRE
63) GENERAL PRINCIPLE (IRE) 10 10-00 144 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
64) LIVELOVELAUGH (IRE) 9 10-00 144 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
65) VINTAGE CLOUDS (IRE) 9 10-00 144 Trevor Hemmings Sue Smith
66) WALK IN THE MILL (FR) 9 10-00 144 Baroness Harding Robert Walford
67) WILLIE BOY (IRE) 8 10-00 144 Kate & Andrew Brooks Charlie Longsdon
68) BALLYHILL (FR) 8 9-13 143 Simon Such & Gino Paletta Nigel Twiston-Davies
69) BLESS THE WINGS (IRE) 14 9-13 143 Adrian Butler & Stephen O'Connor Gordon Elliott IRE
70) CAPTAIN REDBEARD (IRE) 10 9-13 143 Stuart Coltherd Stuart Coltherd
71) POLIDAM (FR) 10 9-13 143 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Willie Mullins IRE
72) BAIE DES ILES (FR) 8 9-12 142 Zorka Wentworth Ross O'Sullivan IRE
73) EXITAS (IRE) 11 9-12 142 P Middleton, M Lowther Phil Middleton
74) ISLEOFHOPENDREAMS 12 9-12 142 Kilbroney Racing Willie Mullins IRE
75) JOE FARRELL (IRE) 10 9-12 142 M Sherwood, N Morris & R Curtis Rebecca Curtis
76) JUST A PAR (IRE) 12 9-12 142 M Scott James Moffatt
77) RED INFANTRY (IRE) 9 9-12 142 Rob Little Ian Williams
78) SHANTOU VILLAGE (IRE) 9 9-12 142 Jane Gerard-Pearse Neil Mulholland
79) THE YOUNG MASTER 10 9-12 142 Mike Burbidge & The Old Masters Neil Mulholland
80) WESTERNER POINT (IRE) 10 9-11 141 Thade Quill Syndicate Eoghan O'Grady IRE
81) BALLYARTHUR (IRE) 9 9-10 140 Graham and Alison Jelley Nigel Twiston-Davies
82) BALLYDINE (IRE) 9 9-10 140 Alan Halsall Charlie Longsdon
83) COGRY 10 9-10 140 Graham and Alison Jelley Nigel Twiston-Davies
84) FACT OF THE MATTER (IRE) 9 9-10 140 The Sandylini Racing Partnership Jamie Snowden
85) OUT SAM 10 9-10 140 D Charlesworth Gordon Elliott IRE
86) VIEUX MORVAN (FR) 10 9-10 140 M L Bloodstock Limited Joseph O'Brien IRE
87) IMPULSIVE STAR (IRE) 9 9-09 139 Robert Waley-Cohen & Men Holding Neil Mulholland
88) KINGSWELL THEATRE 10 9-09 139 John J Murray Michael Scudamore
89) MR DIABLO (IRE) 10 9-09 139 Aidan Glynn Philip Dempsey IRE
90) CAROLE'S DESTRIER 11 9-08 138 Mrs C Skipworth Neil Mulholland
91) MILANSBAR (IRE) 12 9-08 138 Robert Bothway Neil King
92) BORICE (FR) 8 9-07 137 Simon Munir & Isaac Souede Gordon Elliott IRE
93) MEASUREOFMYDREAMS (IRE) 11 9-07 137 T Howley Jnr/A J O'Ryan/D McDonnell Gordon Elliott IRE
94) ROGUE ANGEL (IRE) 11 9-07 137 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
95) SPLASH OF GINGE 11 9-07 137 John Neild Nigel Twiston-Davies
96) ZIGA BOY (FR) 10 9-07 137 Axom LI Alan King
97) CALL IT MAGIC (IRE) 9 9-05 135 Zorka Wentworth Ross O'Sullivan IRE
98) HIGHLAND LODGE (IRE) 13 9-05 135 Cheveley Park Stud James Moffatt
99) KILCREA VALE (IRE) 9 9-05 135 Alan Spence Nicky Henderson
100) WOODS WELL (IRE) 8 9-05 135 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
101) LOOKING WELL (IRE) 10 9-03 133 David Wesley Yates Nicky Richards
102) BACK TO THE THATCH (IRE) 7 9-02 132 M R & Mrs C J Barnwell Henry Daly
103) POTTERS CORNER (IRE) 9 9-02 132 All Stars Sports Racing & J Davies Christian Williams
104) MORNEY WING (IRE) 10 8-13 129 The Steeple Chasers Charlie Mann
105) NED STARK (IRE) 11 8-12 128 Noel Moran/Mrs Valerie Moran Gordon Elliott IRE
106) RATHLIN ROSE (IRE) 11 8-12 128 Fergus Wilson David Pipe
107) SCOIR MEAR (IRE) 9 8-11 127 J P McManus Thomas Mullins IRE
108) VAN GOGH DU GRANIT (FR) 10 8-11 127 Fergus Wilson David Pipe
108 entries remain
ALLYSSON MONTERG (FR) & JAROB scratched
SKIPTHECUDDLES (IRE) & LIEUTENANT COLONEL not qualified
About Aintree Racecourse / The Jockey Club
Aintree is home to The Randox Health Grand National, the most famous horse race in the world which is the climax to a three-day Festival meeting in April every year. The racecourse hosts five other fixtures and is a leading conference centre in the north west of England.
More information is available at aintree.thejockeyclub.co.uk
Aintree is part of The Jockey Club which stages thrilling sporting occasions including The Randox Health Grand National, The Cheltenham Festival and The Investec Derby. Millions of people every year enjoy the special experiences we offer through racing, music, food and entertainment. Governed by Royal Charter, every penny we make goes back into British Racing to help the sport thrive. We were founded in 1750 and today we are the largest commercial group in Britain's second-biggest spectator sport, operating 15 racecourses nationwide, The National Stud, Jockey Club Estates, Jockey Club Catering, Jockey Club Live and our charity, Racing Welfare.
For more information visit www.thejockeyclub.co.uk
For further information please contact:
Grant Rowley, Regional Communications Manager, The Jockey Club (North West) on 07884 655990 or email: Grant.Rowley@thejockeyclub.co.uk
Jessica Dalgliesh, Senior Communications Executive, The Jockey Club (North West) on 07464 491507 or email: Jessica.Dalgliesh@thejockeyclub.co.uk