Skip to main content Skip to site footer

DANNY MCMENAMIN ANNOUCED AS CARLISLE RACECOURSE AMBASSADOR

Article 12th February 2026 Carlisle

Carlisle Racecourse has announced that top jockey Danny McMenamin has become the Cumbria track’s new jockey ambassador for 2026.

The 25-year-old hails from Northern Ireland originally, but has become something of a local favourite both at Carlisle and across the wider northern jumps racing scene since moving to base himself at Nicky Richards’ stables in Penrith in 2017.

Indeed, McMenamin boasts an incredibly strong record at the track, riding 29 winners over the last five seasons, a record bettered only by two-time champion jockey Brian Hughes.

That tally includes a stunning 57-1 treble at the track last December, while he has also recorded notable winners at the likes of Doncaster, Aintree and Haydock during his nine-year career in the saddle.

Dann Sup.png

McMenamin’s role will see him help to champion the work the racecourse has been doing on and off the track, which includes supporting several local charities, and he couldn’t hide his delight at landing the position.

He said: “I’m delighted to be teaming up with Carlisle Racecourse as their jockey ambassador for the rest of the season.

“Carlisle is one of the best racecourses in the country, particularly for novice horses, and we are very lucky to have a track like it in the North.

“It’s a favourite in the weighing room and there’s no better place to take a novice than to Carlisle - it’s a big galloping track and horses just tend to get into a nice rhythm around there. The fences are well presented and have a lovely shape to them and for a young horse they’re very inviting.

“It’s always a good atmosphere there too and that’s thanks to the locals, who are very knowledgeable about their racing and have been supporting the track for many years.

“It’s a proper local atmosphere and everyone is always right behind myself, Nicky and the team as a nearby yard.”

The jockey will also form part of an expert panel that is set to preview this year’s Cheltenham Festival at a dedicated meeting next month (Sunday 8th March). The line-up also consists of broadcaster Gordon Brown as well as bookmaker Paul Garrity amongst other experts.

And McMenamin, who is enjoying one of his best seasons to date with 47 winners at the time of writing, revealed that he was hopeful of taking his emphatic form in the saddle into the big spring festivals.

He said: “It’s an exciting time of year. A couple of horses we’d eyed up for it probably won’t end up going and will probably miss it, but hopefully I can pick up a couple of spares here and there. You never know and I’ll just wait and see.

“It’s been a good season for me, with 47 winners so far. I’ve ridden some nice horses and been to some nice yards with plenty of lovely rides, so it’s been a good start ahead of the spring.”

To find out more about Carlisle Racecourse and future racedays, visit www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/carlisle

MORE LIKE THIS