facts and figures
the festival™ presented by magners
- The record prize money for The Festival 2018 was £4,590,000. The most of any Jump festival in the world, over £1,000,000 per day.
- £625,000 was the prize money available for the Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup.
- 12,320 yards of running rails surrounding the track.
- 5,000 bundles of birch used every season.
- 1934 – the year Golden Miller became the first horse to win both the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Grand National in a single season
- 28 National Hunt races run at The Festival.
- The number of times an Irish-trained horse has won the Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup is 25
- 22 fences jumped during the Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup.
- The most wins by a jockey at The Festival is 7 by Ruby Walsh
- 6 – most consecutive victories by a horse in any Cheltenham Festival race - Quevega in the OLBG Mares’ Hurdle between 2009 and 2014.
- 5 feature races run during The Festival, including the Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup, Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, Unibet Champion Hurdle, the Ryanair Chase and SunBets Stayers’ Hurdle.
- The shortest distance raced at The Festival is 2 miles
- 134,600 people used the Cheltenham Spa train station over the four days
- 80,000 used the shuttle bus service between the Racecourse and town centre
- 36,500 vehicles parked over the four days
- 100 helicopter movements per day
- 50 staff coaches per day, sourced from all over the country, as far away as London, Cardiff, Swansea, Birmingham and Coventry.
- 30 extra flights put on by Ryanair on the Dublin to Birmingham route during The Festival period (around 20,000 customers will use Ryanair).
- 70,000 attended Cheltenham on Cheltenham Gold Cup Day
- The average attendance over the four days is 65,000
- 45,000 bread rolls were eaten at The Festival 2015
- 45,000 afternoon teas served to customers at The Festival 2015
- 40,000 hospitality guests served over the four days of The Festival
- 8,000+ gallons of tea and coffee served
- 350 chefs on site
- 9 tons of potatoes consumed during The Festival.
- 5 tons of smoked and fresh salmon consumed at The Festival.
- 3,800 catering team operating the event each day
- 350 chefs catering each day of the event
- 350 managers running the event each day
- 500 students from over 14 colleges work at the Festival each day
- 8 furlongs of temporary bar counters
- 45,000 hospitality meals
- 24 marquees including the longest triple deck structure in Europe, with over 2.5 miles of internal walls
- 9,000+ gallons of tea & coffee consumed
- 5 tons of cheese consumed
- 240 private boxes
- 15 restaurants
- 30 temporary kitchens
- 74 mobile catering units
- 40,000m2 – volume of space that is built for the four days in the Tented Village and the triple decker that sits alongside the racecourse.
- 2001 – the only year, besides the periods during the two World Wars, that The Festival has been cancelled (due to foot and mouth disease).
- 900 – members of the press accredited for The Festival each year.
- 250 - number of rails bookmakers on site each day.
- 3 – the three-storey temporary structure installed for The Festival, beyond the Guinness Village, is the biggest, three-tiered temporary structure in Europe.