Continuing the 'A Day In The Life' series we took the opportunity to get inside the kitchen and meet the Head Chef here at Epsom Downs Racecourse, Rhys Owen.
1. What is your role here at Epsom Downs Racecourse?
I’m the Head Chef here at Epsom, coming into the role towards the end of 2018. It’s a big responsibility with over 100 chefs working under me for the Investec Derby Festival!
2. How long have you worked for The Jockey Club?
I’ve worked for The Jockey Club for 10 years now.
3. What would you say is the best thing about working for The Jockey Club?
You get treated like family in this business. I work with such a great team and every day is different.
4. What does a typical day at work look like to you?
No day is the same, one day I could be designing a menu for our headline sponsors, Investec, for their guests at the Investec Derby Festival, the next I could be making hundreds of horse-shaped biscuits for our Conference and Events clients. I am lucky that I get to design menus for a variety of clients and work at one of the country’s most spectated sporting events. I love to bring my creativity to the plate and I certainly get to do that here.
5. In your opinion, who is the greatest Derby winner of all time?
Definitely Shergar – what a win!
6. How did your love of horseracing develop?
The first time I watched the Derby live it cemented my love for the sport. The atmosphere it creates is just incredible.
7. What one tip would you give someone that has never been horseracing before?
To be open-minded in your approach to your role. You get to meet a lot of new faces and there are so many opportunities to learn new skills.