The contest previously run as the JLT Novices' Chase will now be known as the Marsh Novices' Chase. Marsh, the world's leading insurance broker and risk adviser, acquired Jardine Lloyd Thompson (JLT) in April, 2019.
Staged over two and a half miles, the Marsh Novices' Chase has a prize fund of £150,000 and is the opening contest on day three, Thursday, 12 March. It was introduced to The Festival in 2011 and its intermediate distance falls between the G1 Racing Post Arkle Novices' Chase (two miles) and the G1 RSA Insurance Novices' Chase (three miles).
In 2019, the Marsh Novices' Chase was won by Defi du Seuil, who was gaining his second success at The Festival having previously taken the G1 JCB Triumph Hurdle in 2017.
Owned by J P McManus and trained by Philip Hobbs, Defi du Seuil is unbeaten in three outings so far this season, including the G1 Clarence House Chase at Ascot yesterday. He is a leading contender for this season's G1 Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase at The Festival and heads the ante-post market at 2/1 with the sponsor.
The Festival™ presented by Magners 2020 race programme
Day One - Tuesday, March 10 (Old Course) - prize money £1,175,000
- 1.30pm Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 87y £125,000
- 2.10pm Racing Post Arkle Novices' Chase (Grade 1) 1m 7f 199y £175,000
- 2.50pm Ultima Handicap Chase (Grade 3) 3m 1f £110,000
- 3.30pm Unibet Champion Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 87y £450,000
- 4.10pm David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 3f 200y £120,000
- 4.50pm Close Brothers Novices' Handicap Chase (Listed) 2m 4f 44y £70,000
- 5.30pm National Hunt Chase (Amateur Riders' Novices' Chase) (Grade 2) 3m 5f 201y £125,000
Day Two - Wednesday, March 11 (Old Course & Cross Country) - prize money £1,020,000
- 1.30pm Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 5f £125,000
- 2.10pm RSA Insurance Novices' Chase (Grade 1) 3m 80y £175,000
- 2.50pm Coral Cup Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3) 2m 5f £100,000
- 3.30pm Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase (Grade 1) 1m 7f 99y £400,000
- 4.10pm Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase 3m 6f 37y £65,000
- 4.50pm Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3) 2m 87y £80,000
- 5.30pm Weatherbys Champion Bumper (Grade 1) 2m 87y £75,000
Day Three - Thursday, March 12 (New Course) - prize money £1,195,000
- 1.30pm Marsh Novices' Chase (Grade 1) 2m 3f 166y £150,000
- 2.10pm Pertemps Network Final (Handicap Hurdle) (Grade 3) 2m 7f 213y £100,000
- 2.50pm Ryanair Chase (Grade 1) 2m 4f 127y £350,000
- 3.30pm Stayers' Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 7f 213y £325,000
- 4.10pm Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate (Handicap Chase) (Grade 3) 2m 4f 166y £110,000
- 4.50pm Dawn Run Mares' Novices' Hurdle (Grade 2) 2m 179y £90,000
- 5.30pm Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Amateur Riders' Handicap Chase 3m 2f £70,000
Day Four - Friday, March 13 (New Course) - prize money £1,200,000
- 1.30pm JCB Triumph Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 179y £125,000
- 2.10pm Randox Health County Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3) 2m 179y £100,000
- 2.50pm Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) 2m 7f 213y £125,000
- 3.30pm Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup (Grade 1) 3m 2f 70y £625,000
- 4.10pm St James's Place Foxhunter Chase 3m 2f 70y £45,000
- 4.50pm Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Handicap Chase (Grade 3) 2m 62y £110,000
- 5.30pm Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle (0-145) 2m 4f 56y £70,000
Marsh is the world's leading insurance broker and risk adviser. With over 35,000 colleagues operating in more than 130 countries, Marsh serves commercial and individual clients with data driven risk solutions and advisory services. Marsh is a business of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), the leading global professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. With annual revenue approaching US$17 billion and 76,000 colleagues worldwide, MMC helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses: Marsh, Guy Carpenter, Mercer, and Oliver Wyman.
If you need any information about racing at Cheltenham, please contact: Sarah Jane Muirie, Communications Manager - Jockey Club Racecourses South West 01242537683 SarahJane.Muirie@thejockeyclub.co.uk