SUNDAY 22 MAY
This event has now passed. Congratulations to all who took part!
the Derby Walk
On Sunday 22nd May, join the 22 mile journey, starting at 9am in Knightsbridge, through to Elephant and Castle, travelling via the A24 through Clapham, Colliers Wood, Merton and on to Morden which will then lead the walk via Rose Hill and on to the Epsom Downs.
Plan Your Derby Walk
A 20-mile plus walk is no easy task. Ideally some prep would have been gained before the event. If not, please don’t worry.
Most importantly, having the correct supplies and equipment are a must. Feet! Comfortable trainers or walking shoes (please refrain from wearing brand new shoes) and appropriate socks. Dress comfortably for the expected weather (London (Greater London) weather - Met Office) .
Please don’t forget to bring sunscreen. It can get very hot with very little shade between Morden and Epsom, so a hat may also be useful. Although water will be available as part of your registration, it’s probably advisable to bring a bottle.
Should you wish for someone to meet you at the finish, please let us know and we’ll look out for them at the Racecourse. As mentioned before, 4 hours is the record time (14:00 finish time for elite walkers). On average it will take approx. 6 -7 hours (15:00 – 16:00). However, this depends heavily on time taken at the refreshment stops on the way.
- We’ll be at Knightsbridge Green (outside Tattersalls Tavern) from around 07:30.
- The Derby walk will start at 09:00 (10:00 for Elite walkers) if there are no unforeseen problems.
- We advise Giving yourself 30-45mins to prepare at the start.
At this point you will have the opportunity to pick up your nutritional goody bag, Derby walk wristband, map, interesting points paper, ask any questions, purchase the current Derby walk T shirt, pay your registration fee (if not done on-line) and inform us of the charity or cause you’re walking for.
However, If you’d rather not it’s good to know that from each registration fee received a donation will go to our supported charity Epsom RDA (Providing opportunities for disabled people to improve their health and well being through riding).
When completing your registration, we will ask for your mobile phone number (if not already given). This will allow us to keep in touch during the walk. The map that you will be given will have all The Derby walk contact details you may need.
The Derby Dash start will be located in Morden Hall car park, SM4 5JF.
Look for the Derby walk banner and make your way to the registration point. A Derby walk representative will be there from 11:00.
- Enter through the arch/gate or via the main entrance and look for ‘Derbywalk refreshments’. On leaving Morden Hall, cross the rd via pedestrian crossing and head along Aberconway Rd. Cross Abbotsbury Rd and at the end of Aberconway Rd turn left onto A24. You should pass Lidl and Iceland (shop) on your left shortly before turning left.
- Additional directions to the Derby walk route can be obtained by Derby walk team members.
Please contact John on 07910034568 or Pat on 07803741882 for any queries.
- On leaving Tattersalls Tavern head for Hyde Park Corner (try to be on the right-hand side of the road). The Libyan Embassy should be on your right just before entering the underpass that leads to Wellington’s Equine statue and the New Zealand war memorial. Head for the Commonwealth Gates that lead onto Constitution Hill. You will need to be on the right-hand side as the left side is currently blocked.
- When on Constitution Hill head for Buckingham Palace. Turn right so that you walk along the front gates of Buck House (Great photo opportunity) and head for Spur road (right-hand fork). Remain on the left-hand side pavement and follow into Birdcage Walk which will be a sharp left turn at the end of Spur Road. You’d be better on the right-hand side of Birdcage walk (Guards chapel side of the road).
- Stay on Birdcage Walk until it turns into Great George Street. Follow this road onto Westminster Bridge. Big Ben and Parliament Square should be on your right. (Photo opportunity)
- Over Westminster Bridge take 2nd exit at round-a-bout staying on Westminster Bridge Road (A302). On the way, keep Lambeth North underground station on your left. Do not turn right into Kennington Road. Bear right, staying on the A302 and then merging into St Georges Rd. This takes you into the Elephant and Castle.
- When you arrive at the Elephant and Castle remain on the same pavement, bearing right onto Newington Butts (A3). Stay on the A3 all the way to Clapham Common. Passing Kennington, Oval (refreshments), Stockwell & Clapham North Tube stations.
- At Clapham Common move onto the A24. The A3 branches off to the right…Do Not Follow!
- Stay on the A24 all the way to Morden. Passing Clapham South (refreshments), Balham, Tooting Bec, Tooting Broadway, Colliers Wood and South Wimbledon where you then turn left and head along Morden Road into Morden.
- At Morden round-a-bout (entrance to the town) take; the first exit for refreshments in Morden Hall*,(refreshments) or the second exit for the A24 through Morden. Morden station should now be on your right.
- *Refreshments at Morden Hall – bear left at the round-a-bout. The entrance to Morden Hall is approx. 200yds yds on the left. Enter through the arch/gate and look for Derby walk refreshments. On leaving Morden Hall, cross the road via pedestrian crossing and head along Aberconway Rd. Cross Abbotsbury Road and at the end of Aberconway Road turn left onto A24. You should pass Lidl and Iceland (shop) on your left shortly before turning left.
- Stay on A24 all the way to Epsom Town Centre. Through Stonecot Hill, North Cheam and on to Nonsuch Park. The park will be on your left. Some walkers take the opportunity to enter the park and continue adjacent to the A24. At the memorial Car Park there will be your final refreshment stop before the finish. Approx. 90 mins
- Walking along Ewell bypass you will see a X-roads and a round-a-bout. Please go straight on on both occasions on to Epsom Town Centre.
- When you enter Epsom walk through the town centre. The Faraday pub should be on your left with McDonalds to the right. When you cross the road the Ashley Centre will be to the left and the clock tower to the right. Finally keep the Assembly Rooms (Wetherspoons) on the left as you exit the town centre. Stay on the A24 (South St) until to bear left (Petrol garage opposite) into Woodcote Road.
- Stay on Woodcote Road until turning left into Chalk Lane. Stay on Chalk Lane (Amato and The Durdans will be on your right) until you exit the lane with the Glorious view of the Queen Elizabeth ll stand now in sight.
- Make your way to the Piggott gates for some well earned refreshments.