The art of betting is as old as racing itself. Read our quick guide to help you get started.
The tote can be found in all enclosures. Betting with the Tote couldn’t be easier. There are Tote betting points clearly signed and located all over the course. The Tote staff will be pleased to help you if you need any information on the range of bets on offer. Television screens near the Tote counters give an indication of the current odds that will be paid on each horse. A minimum bet of £2 is required.
For further information please visit www.totesport.com
Bookmakers can be found in the main enclosure. Each bookmaker will advertise the minimum stake they will accept and the odds on each horse.
To place your bet state the amount of your stake, type of bet, name and number of the horse.
On-course betting shop
Racecourse betting shops are similar to high street betting shops in that you can enjoy a variety of different bets at Huntingdon or across the country. To place a bet you will need to complete a betting slip with the relevant details.
Top Tip: Never throw away what you might consider a losing bet until the 'weighed in' signal has been given as results can sometimes be amended.
Types of bets
Popular bets are:
- Win - You bet on the horse to win the race
- Place -You bet on the horse to be placed - first or second in races of five, six or seven runners; first, second or third in races of eight runners or more; first, second, third or fourth in handicaps of sixteen runners or more. An each-way bet on the Tote, as with a bookmaker, is two bets - win and place.
If you’re feeling adventurous the tote also offers the following bets:
- Trifecta - You pick three horses to finish first, second and third, in correct order in races of eight runners or more
- Jackpot - You pick the winners of the first six races at the designated Jackpot meeting (not Saturdays)
- Placepot - You pick horses to be placed in each of the first six races (or to win any race with fewer than five runners)
- Swinger – You pick two horses to finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any order
- Exacta - In races of three or more runners, pick two horses to finish first and second (in correct order)
- Super7 – pick five, six or seven winners from the selected races
- Quadpot – pick a placed horse in races three, four, five and six